Now in its second decade, Healthy Aging Month is marked each September as a reminder that there is no time like the present to start living better and enjoying life at each stage.
Much of what is celebrated during the month is the belief that aging doesn’t have to mean we lose our independence – which is what ProHealth strives to help our patients realize with our in-home physician, physical therapy and mobile radiology services.
ProHealth suggests using September as a time to start living better by working on the following goals.
- Be proactive about prevention. We can all take preventative steps to ward off chronic health conditions, falls and illnesses. Reduce your risk of falls by wearing proper shoes and using assistive walking/sitting devices. Maintain your bone density by getting plenty of calcium and vitamin D in your diet. And get the influenza vaccine and other age-appropriate shots to ward off sickness.
- Make good choices at the dinner table. Pre-prepared meals are convenient, but they’re often not the healthiest choice. Reach for as many vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains and dairy as you can, while cutting back on fatty meats, packaged goods, sugar and salt. Add fiber, which makes you feel full, by incorporating beans or apples in your dishes whenever possible.
- Get your walk on. Most of us can handle walking at least 30 minutes each day as a way to maintain our overall health. Regular exercise will help with weight control, improve quality of sleep, strengthen bones and muscles and reduce your risk of health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. Grab a friend or family member and get moving!
- Stop smoking. It seems like an obvious choice, but many people continue to smoke even though they’re trying to live healthier. Tobacco harms almost every organ and system in the body and can lead to heart cancer, heart disease and a host of other problems. Regardless of how long you’ve smoked, your body starts to recover within 20 minutes of your last drag. Ask your physician for help quitting the habit.
- Senior supplements. Although it’s always best to get your nutrients from food, people need more vitamins in the second half of life than they did before. Select supplements with the following vitamins and minerals for optimal health: Vitamin B6 (keeps oxygen flowing throughout your body); Vitamin B12 (keeps nerve and blood cells healthy, fights anemia); calcium and Vitamin D (for strong bones).
ProHealth is participating in the following health fairs this fall. Stop out and learn how we can help you in the healthy aging process.
Tuesday, September 25, 2018 |8:30 am – 1:30 pm
Ottawa County Summit on Aging
Ottawa County Fairgrounds, Damschroder Hall B3
7870 W. State Route 163, Oak Harbor
Wednesday, September 26, 2018 | 11 am – 2 pm
Free Fall Risk Assessments
9640 Sylvania-Metamora Road, Sylvania
Tuesday, October 2, 2018 | 9:30 am – 2:30 pm
St. Casper’s Church
1205 N. Shoop Ave., Wauseon
Thursday, October 11, 2018 | 8:30 am – 1:30 pm
875 E. Main St., Montpelier
Thursday, October 25, 2018 | 10 am – 2 pm
Harvest of Health
Beulah Beach Camp & Conference Center
6101 W. Lake Road, Vermillion